Thursday, January 3, 2008

Michelle Paulsen - NewLife Cheras

I thought I wouldn’t be coming to this camp. The thought of sleeping in a dorm, bathing in cold water and lots more didn’t sound inviting. If my good friend didn’t bug me to join this camp, I wouldn’t have come.

So, I came to this camp expecting it to be the worst. But, guess what? It was so much better than I expected and it’s not that bad.

I learnt a lot from this camp. Not just spiritually but also mentally. First of all, I take a huge amount of time to bathe and I’m bad at time management. Through this camp, I learnt to manage my time more properly and I learned to shower fast. Real fast.

Anyway, that was just the intro. I enjoyed the fourth day of the camp the most. It was the community project that changed my perception. Group 4 was to go to ESDA. At first, I was a bit worried and uncertain about going to the disabled people’s work centre. I wasn’t sure how I was going to communicate with them. When we just reached the home, the situation was a bit awkward. But, soon enough, we grew comfortable and gave us our attention.

I talked to a 20 year old guy who was a bit mentally disabled. He’s a bright guy. I was smiling and laughing the whole time I talked to him. His name is Lim Wei Sim and I even have his house phone number. He told us his house phone number, his house address and also told us to write down our contact number.

He told me a lot of things from his favourite food to his favourite musical instrument. In fact, he told me a lot of random things that was interesting.

Going to the disabled house has made me realise that I haven’t been really thankful for what I have. I always compare to others who are better off than me. But, now I know that I should be contented with what I have and I should do less complaining.

No comments: